Working with different types of academic assignments, you will definitely face such term as “annotated bibliography”. At that, it makes no matter on what project you are working at the moment – an essay, term paper, case study, coursework or some other ones. In any case, you will face the question of how to write an annotated bibliography. The overarching goal of this review is to hunt down the question of annotated bibliography and find out why this piece of work is so important.
Before we find out what it means, let’s give the definition to the notion “bibliography”. Each college or university student frequently hears this term. Some of them consider this piece of work to be less important. Nevertheless, they are mistaken. A bibliography is a “works cited list”. In other words, this is a short list, placed at the end of your project. The overriding priority of this list is to indicate all sources the author used to write his research project. As a rule, this list comprises the information about what books, magazines, newspapers, manuscripts or other resources you’ve used in your research.
Frequently, specialists call this list a “citation”. It displays the information about the author, publishing year, etc. All these citations are published with the aim to simplify the procedure of finding sources by other researchers.
Having taken a look at a number of annotated bibliography examples we see online, we can conclude that this is a full list of articles, documents or books. As a rule, each citation has a brief (it takes approximately 150 words) or annotation. The overarching aim of this paragraph is to notify the readers about accuracy and the quality of the cited sources.
Analyzing a number of annotated bibliography samples we can conclude that any annotated bibliography encompasses the following items:
- The description or summary of a resource.
- Your personal standpoint.
You will hardly find a high quality annotated bibliography maker. As a rule, you should do this piece of work by yourself. Such online services cannot produce a good list of resources only because of the fact that they are just machines. Yet still, analyzing a number of annotated bibliography templates, you can easily create your own list of citations correctly.
In sober fact, before you proceed to work on this assignment, you are to consult your teacher or adviser. This is necessary because such requirements fully depend on the requirements of a higher educational establishment to this particular piece of work. Nevertheless, there are two common styles each college or university adheres to. They are as follows:
Facing this type of assignment for the first time ever, you will definitely have no answers to the questions like what MLA annotated bibliographies are or what APA annotated bibliography is. The below-listed issues will help you clarify this issue:
- MLA is a special citation style, which was created by the Modern Language Association. Its primary target is to help researchers organize their resources properly. In other words, this is a formatting guideline showing in what way you should cite your resources. There are different versions of this guideline and the latest one is number 8.
- APA is another citation style, which was created by the American Psychological Association. This guideline is useful in case the theme of your final project is scientific.
You should talk to your advisor who will recommend you what style to select.
This is not a fascinating part of your project, but it should be done. Working on it, you need to use all your intellectual skills. Having chosen either MLA annotated bibliography or annotated bibliography APA format, you need to proceed to the following piece of work:
- You should locate all your citations according to periodicals, books or other types of documents.
- Start citing your resources according to the chosen style of formatting.
- Write an annotation where you should indicate the main topic and the scope of all resources you’ve used.